Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra is a blend of three language words i.e “Maha”-which means great, “Mrityun”-means death and “Jaya“-means victory, which is translated as a victory over death. It is also famous as” Trayambakam Mantra”.The Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra is given to Rishi Markandeya by Lord Shiva.
History of Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra
The Mantra of Mrityunjaya was given by Lord Shiva to Rishi Markandeya. There is a story behind this… once Bhrigu Rishi and Marudmati his wife prayed to Lord Shiva for years to get the boon of a son. Lord Shiva was entirely impressed with their devotion and he gave them a valuable information-An intelligent son with a short life or a son with low intelligence but a long life. Rishi Brighu accepted lord Shiva’s offer, to have a boy with a short life, Lord Shiva accordingly gave the boon as a son called Markandeya will born to you soon with a life span of only 12years.
Markandeya Rishi and his wife were decided not to reveal this truth to their son. However Markandeya’s 12th birthday came, his parents started depressing themselves. Markandeya could not understand their pain. On his insistence, the two narrated the entire incident. Then Markandeya started his own penance in front of Shiva ling. Then on his 12th birthday lord, Yama came to the earth to take him. His parents prayed to god but they could not complete the act.
However, the kid remained single-minded and wrapped his arms around the Shiva ling and surrendered himself to the mercy of Lord Shiva. Later lord Yama tried to take his soul but the kid fell on Shiva ling, as Lord Shiva only the protector. Shiva impressed with the boy and got angry at Yama and punished him. Shiva has given Markandeya the secret mantra called “Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra” so that the boy is alive for long life.
Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra is one of the most important powerful Mantra in Hinduism along with Gayathri mantra. The powerful Mrityunjaya mantra labels to Lord Shiva which is believed to eliminate the fear of mortality and ailments. Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra is originally sourced from the Rig Veda and believed that Rishi Markandeya brought back to the people. It is said to be beneficial for mental, emotional and physical health and to be a moksha mantra which gives longevity and immorality.
Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra in English and Hindi
Om Trayambakam yajamahe, Sugandhim pushtivardhanam !
Urvarukamiva bandhanaan, Mrithyor mukshiya mamrithaath !!
Maha Mrityunjaya Puja
Maha Mrityunjaya Puja is devoted to Lord Shiva, and it is assumed to be the most powerful ritual to get relief from several health problems. This puja is devoted to Lord Shiva so that a person blessed with happiness, health, and good fortune and gets free from all kinds of problems in life. Maha Mrityunjaya Puja avoids from mistimed death. It is possible to perform this puja at home also, proper items should be required i.e Ganga Jal, cow, milk, ghee, honey, sugar, white cloth, sacred thread (janeu), betel nuts, tulsi and bel leaves, datura, bhang, sandalwood paste, rice, lamps, incense, flowers, fruits, and sweets, roli, sacred red and white thread, etc. are some necessary items. If the person does puja along with Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra, he/she will get relief from all health problems and troubles and can increase their life span.
Maha Mrityunjaya Homam
- According to the Rigveda, Maha Mrityunjaya Homam gives way to expand the life span of a person by reducing the serious and immediate dangers in life.
- Maha Mrityunjaya Homam should be done in an ethical way, should follow rules accordingly, then only will get better results.
- This Homam helps people who have threatened to death, suffering from illness, will get relief after doing this Homam.
- People get confidence, again refreshment and can start a new life after the Homam is performed.
Maha Mrityunjaya Japa
- Repeat Lord Shiva’s Maha Mrityunjaya Japa mantra 108 times with Japamala. Perform abhisheka with milk and offer flowers to Shiva Ling.
- Performing Sankalp(flow water into a pot and ask for Lord Shiva’s blessings).
- Respect of Lord Shiva with five items deepam, water, fruits, bel leaves, incense sticks.
- Havan is performed at the end of Maha Mrityunjaya Japa.