Most Powerful Shakti Peethas in Karnataka
Karnataka is home to some of the most beautiful Shakti Peethas (~temples) in India. In this blog post, we bring the must-visit 9 famous Devi temples to a comprehensive list of Nava Shakti Peethas in Karnataka. All these Shakti Peethas are dedicated to Goddess Sati/Shakti/Parvati as they are situated in the places where the body parts of Goddess Sati fell.
List of 9 Famous Shakti Peetha Temples in Karnataka
- Sringeri Sharadamba Temple: Located in the town of Sringeri, in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka, Sringeri Sharadamba Temple is one of the oldest and most important of the Nava Shakti Peethas in Karnataka. It is regarded as the seat of the founder of Advaita philosophy Shri Adi Shankaracharya.
- Kolluru Mookambika Devi Temple: Kolluru Mookambika Devi Temple is situated in the Udupi district of Karnataka in the town of Kollur. It is too one of the most popular tourist destinations of Karnataka. Folklore states that this is the place where the Goddess Mookambika appeared to King Veera Ballala II.
- Mysore Chamundeshwari Temple: The city of Mysore is famous for many historical and pilgrimage places. One of them is the Shakti Peetha of Mysore Chamundeshwari Temple. Regarded as one of the most important of the Shakti Peetha temples in Karnataka, devotees say that this is the place where Goddess Chamundeshwari killed the demon named Mahisasura.
- Savadatti Ellamma Devi Temple: The Savadatti town in the Belgaum district of Karnataka is another one of the famous Shakti Peethas in Karnataka. This place is believed to be where Goddess Ellamma appeared to the great King Krishnadevaraya.
- Sigandhooru Chowdeshwari Temple: Sigandhooru Chowdeshwari Temple is the deity of Sigandhoou town in the Hassan district of Karnataka. Keeping up with the tradition, King Bukka Raya I is said to have met Goddess Chowdeshwari at this place.
- Horanadu Annapurneshwari Temple: Horanadu, in the Tumkur district of Karnataka, is the popular Shakti Peetha pilgrimage destination for Annapurneshwari Temple. The importance of this place is manifold, as it is said that Goddess Annapurneshwari appeared to King Rama in this place.
- Kateelu Durgaparameshwari Temple: Goddess Durgaparameswari appeared to King Veera Ballala II at this place which is the town of Kateelu in the Chitradurga district of Karnataka, as per the local folklore.
- Baadami Banashankari Temple: Badami, Bagalkot district of Karnataka, has one of the most important Shakti Peethas, the Badami Banashankari temple. Goddess Banashankari appeared to King Badami Chalukya of the Chalukya dynasty at this place.
- Sirsi Marikamba Temple: The last one of the temples having the extinct Kavi architecture is the Sirsi Marikamba temple. It is located in the town of Sirsi, in the Uttara Karnataka district of Karnataka where South India’s largest fair is held every two years.
These are the 9 famous Nava Shakti Peethas in Karnataka. If ever you are in search of a place to have a spiritual experience or simply wish to have the experience of the beauty of Karnataka, then you can visit any of the above Nava Shakti Peethas. To know more about the best temples to visit in India, visit Puja N Pujari. For all your puja needs, puja services, and astrological and Vaastu advice Puja N Pujari is the one-stop shop.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many Shakti peethas are in India?
Ans: There are a total of 51 Shakti Peethas in India. All of the Shakti Peethas are dedicated to Goddess Sati/Parvati, a form of Goddess Adishakti, the energy behind all life. These Shakti peethas are said to be situated at places where the 51 broken pieces of the body of Goddess Sati had fallen.
- What is the name of 9 Devi?
Ans: Nav Durga, as they are famously known, are the 9 forms of Goddess Durga. The names of 9 Devis are Shailaputri, Brahmcharinin, Chandraghanta, Kushmanda, Skandamata, Katyayini, Kalaratri, Mahagauri, and Siddhidhatri as the Shaktism religious philosophy in India.
- Which are the 5 temples in Karnataka?
Ans: Karnataka is home to a lot of temples. There are numerous choices of temples to visit depending on the devotion one carries. There are 9 Shakti Peetha temples alone dedicated to Goddess Shakti. There is the Gokarna Mahabaleshwara Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, Shardamba Temple dedicated to Goddess Shakti, etc. Some of the other famous temples are Vitthala Temple in Hampi, Kotilingeshwara Temple in Kolar, and Udupi Srikrishna Temple in Udupi.
- Which temple is famous in Karnataka?
Ans: There are numerous temples in Karnataka, from the temples dedicated to Lord Shiva to the Shakti Peethas dedicated to Goddess Shakti, from temples made during the Chola empire to the temples existing since ancient times. It is difficult to say the most famous temple in Karnataka. It can be the Vitthala temple in Hampi or the Gokarna Mahabaleshwara temple in Gokarna.