Navagraha means nine planets. Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu are the nine planets. All of these nine planets' temples are found in different places in India. Navagraha temples are most famous in Tamilnadu, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Assam and Madhya Pradesh in India.
The Sun or Surya Temple
Suryanarayana temple is dedicated to Lord Surya. It is located near the town of Kumbakonam. Here the sun temple is a historic temple in India. In this sacred place all the nine planets also available.
The Moon or Chandra Temple
The Moon-god has a separate shrine in Kailasanthar temple. This temple is located on Thingalur. Thingalur moon is one of the most important nine Navagraha Sthalam in Tamilnadu.
The Mars or Mangal Temple
Vaitheeswaran Temple is famous for Lord Mars. Mars is one of the nine planets. This temple is dedicated to the lord shiva, lord shiva is worshiped as the god of healing. This temple is located in Amman sannidhi road, Tamil Nadu.
This mercury temple is located in Thiruvengadu village, Tamil Nadu.
Swetharanyeswar temple is a very famous lord mercury, it is dedicated to Agora Murthi. This temple is famous for the unique structure of pools and furious incarnation of lord shiva.
Apatsahayesvarar temple is dedicated to lord Jupiter, it is located in Alangudi village, in Tamil Nadu. This temple is very famous for lord shiva where the Lord is worshiped as Dakshina Murthy. This is one of the famous temples in south India.
This Shukra temple is located in the village of Kanjanur in Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu. Agniswarar temple is dedicated to Venus. It is one of the most important 9 Navagraha Sthalas in the Cauvery delta region.
The Saturn temple is located in the Karaikal district of Pondicherry. Tirunallar Sanishwaran temple is dedicated to Lord Saturn. Here the presiding deity is Dharbaranyeswarar.
The Rahu temple is located on the bank river of Kaveri near Kumbakonam. Rahu Sthalam temple has numerous shrines and it is classified as Paadal Petra Sthalam. This temple is a sacred place for lord Shiva, Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Ganesha and Maha Bhairava.
Navagraha Temple In Assam
- The Navagraha temple is located in the southern part of the Guwahati city, Assam, India on the crest of the hill called Chitrakala.
- This Navagraha temple contains nine phallic crests of lord Shiva covered with various colors of cloths that are holy to the nine planetary gods, Namely, Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu, and Ketu.
- The Navagraha temple In Guwahati was built during the King Rajeswar Singh time in 1752AD. In olden times the temple upper part (Gopura) was destroyed by the big earthquake and was rebuilt with corrugated iron-sheet.
Navagraha Temples In Nashik Maharashtra
Anna Ganapathi Navagraha Siddhapeetham is located in Nashik, Maharashtra, India. 1.5km distance is there from the Nashik railway station to the temple. In temple Garbhagudi all the nine planets are residing with their wife’s. Near central Pune, this is only Navagraha Siddhapeetham.
Besides Shaniwar Wada there is a major Navagraha temple, it is very special for Lord Shani. In Balaji Nagar Navagraha Maruthi temple also has special importance. Near Dapoli In Ratnagiri District, Maharashtra one more newly constructed Navagraha temple is available. This temple is 5km away from Dapoli On the Highway of Dapoli- Mandangad-Mumbai state. This newly constructed temple is owned by Shri Sainath Maharaj trust, Dombivli, Thane. The main temple belongs to Lord Saibaba and is surrounded by Ganapathi, Shiva, and Shri Dattatreya Swami. This temple always very clean and beautifully maintained.
Navagraha Temple in Madhya Pradesh
The Navagraha temple in Madhya Pradesh is historical and established inside the Bada Ganapathi temple Backside Makaleshwar temple towards Harsiddhi temple in Ujjain city in Madya Pradesh. For hundreds of years, it is believed that people are known to get blessings and relief when they pray here. While doing Parikrama of Navagraha stones devotees have to pray and offer flowers, Bilva Patra while performing puja.
Navagraha Temples In Chennai Kundrathur
In Chennai, Navagraha temples have a similar cluster, erstwhile Thondai Nadu in and around Kudrathur.
- Agatheeswarar Temple - Suryan - Kolapakkkam
- Somanaadheeswarar Temple - Chandran - Somangalam
- Vaidheeswaran Temple - Angaragan - Poovirundhavalli( Poondhamalli)
- Sundareswarar Temple - Budhan - Kovur
- Ramanaadheeswarar Temple - Guru - Porur
- Velleeswarar Temple - Sukran - Mangadu
- Agatheeswarar Temple - Shaneeswaran - Pozhichalur
- Neelakandeswarar Temple - Kethu - Gerugambakkam
Nageshwarar Temple - Rahu - Kundratthur
It was founded by Tyagaraja gurukul and Bhuvaneswari and their family published people through a small book of Navagraha Sthala puranam in Chennai.
There is a separate set of Nine Planet temples that are dedicated to Lord Vishnu in the Tiruchendur-Tirunelveli route known as Nava -Tirupathi.
- Srivaikuntanathan Permual Temple -- Suryan
- Vijayaasana Perumal Temple -- Chandran
- Vaithamanidhi Perumal Temple -- Sevvai
- ThiruPulingudi Perumal Temple -- Budhan
- AlwarThirunagari Temple -- Gurubhagawan
- Makara Nedunkuzhai Kannan Temple -- Sukran
- Srinivasa Perumal Temple -- Shaniswaran
- Irattai Thiruppathy, Aravindalochanar -- Raghu
- Irattai Thiruppathy, Devapiran -- Kedhu
Navagraha Temple In Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
Navagraha temple was built by Shri Patharchatti Ram Lila Committee, is located at Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh. This temple was opened in 2012 for the public. In Allahabad, it is located in the Rambagh area. It takes two minutes to reach the temple from Rambagh city railway station.
There are some important temples as well as listed below.
- Shri Khatu Shyam Temple
2.Shri Ram Temple
Navagraha Temple In Karari Kaushambi
Navagraha temple was built by Shri Somnath Verma, is located at Karari Kaushambi in Uttar Pradesh. It was opened in 2017. In Karari Kaushambi it is located in Ashok Nagar. It takes 15minutes to reach the temple from bharwari railway station at
Ashok Nagar in Karari Kaushambi.
There are other gods also worshiped they are,